Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
I improvised this, combining several recipes to accomidate the ingredients on hand, basically wanting something to do with a huge bag of hemp " powder I have. With the protein powder and the peanut butter figured into the nutritional info, the protein count is 4.8 grams and the calories are 143. Not a huge protein count, but hemp seed has other benefits: "Hempseed is considered by leading researchers and medical doctors to be one of the most nutritious food sources on the planet. Shelled hempseed is packed with 33 percent pure digestible protein and is rich in iron and vitamin E as well as omega-3 and GLA" (from the Nutiva website)
- 1⁄2 cup ground flax seeds
- 1⁄2 cup hemp seeds (Nutiva Hemp Protein Powder)
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 1⁄2 cup coconut milk
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted natural-style peanut butter
- 1⁄2 cup maple syrup (I used Trader Joe's maple and agave syrup)
- mix dry ingredients: ground flax seed, hemp powder, dried fruit and rolled oats. I put them in my blender and did a course chop to get the fruit diced.
- combine wet ingredients: coconut milk, peanut butter and maple/agave syrup.
- combine wet and dry ingredients and mix well.
- put wax paper in a 9 X 12 baking dish and spread mixture evenly.
- leave in oven to dry overnight.
While this is a good recipe, it is important to note that unprocessed peanut butter, ground flax seed and hemp seed must be refrigerated. If not, it will quickly become rancid.
I recommend using more rolled oats for a firmer texture and adding 1 teaspoon of vanilla and 1/2 teaspoon of salt. Then refrigerate. I used an 8x8 inch pan