My uncle Willie would make this turkey every time we visited him. While the turkey was roasting he would sing and dance for us. We could not wait for the turkey to come out of the oven.
- pre-heat oven to 350.
- rub entire turkey with oil.
- fine dice sage and rosemary.
- mix salt, pepper, paprika, sage and rosemary.
- cover entire turkey with spice mixture.
- cut oranges in half and stuff in turkey.
- cut onion in quartars an drop in roasting pan.
- peel garlic and drop in roasting pan.
- roast on a rack breast side down for 2 hours.
- turn breast side up and finish to 170 degrees.
- let rest 20 min and eat.
Amazing Recipe! if you Brine the turkey 24 hours before seasoning it gives you a more Moist and Flavorful turkey!
Uncle Willie sure knew what he was talking about! This was delicious! I also brined the turkey with another recipe and we wound up putting the orange under the turkey skin since we used stuffing but it was AWESOME! Thanks so much for posting! We will be using it every Thanksgiving.
I used this method of roasting my turkey, after brining with the recipe from "Good Eats" roast turkey (somewhere on zaar). I added a cinnamon stick to the oranges that were stuffed in the turkey's cavity. All I can say is that this year's turkey is the absolute best one that I've ever made before!