Recipe by Ed&Theresa
Uncle Vinnie was from the Tuscany region of Italy.
Top Review by A Good Thing
This made for a yummy lunch for dear daughter and I today. We both thought the sauce was simple, yet very tasty. Will make a larger batch next time and keep some in the freezer. It would make a good base for other Italian dishes. Made for PAC 2008
- 1⁄2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion (chopped)
- 3 garlic cloves (chopped)
- 2 (28 ounce) cansplum whole canned tomatoes
- kosher salt & fresh ground pepper
- 1⁄4 cup fresh basil leaf, torn into pieces
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the oil in a saucepan over medium-low heat.
- Add the onions and garlic and cook until soft.
- Pour the canned tomatoes into a large bowl, reserving the juice.
- Crush the tomatoes by hand and put them in a pot.
- Add the onions,garlic and 1/2 cup of the juice and season with salt and pepper, stir.
- Cook until the sauce is thick, about 15 minutes, taste and adjust the seasoning.
- Bring to a boil stirring with a wooden spoon to further break up the tomatoes.
- Reduce heat and let simmer 20-30 minutes.
- Stir in fresh basil and check seasoning.