Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
Uncle Salvi's Congri
- 2 (14 ounce) cans black beans
- 1 lb bacon
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup Kitchen Bouquet
- 3 cups Uncle Ben's converted brand rice
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 bay leaf
- Cut bacon into small bits (1/2 inch) and fry in pot until brown.
- Dice onion and green pepper, put in with bacon and stir fry.
- Add garlic, onion powder, salt, cumin and vinegar.
- Stir in kitchen bouquet.
- Add the rice and fry with mixture.
- Add 5 cups of water and olive oil plus bay leaf.
- Add the black beans and bring to a boil.
- Simmer with lid on for 20 minutes.
- Take off stove and simmer until moist.
I made this exactly by the recipe. Next time, I might cut down a tad on the salt. This was delicious - everyone really loved it - and it could be a meal or a side dish. Definitely on the repeat list in my house. Thanks for posting.