Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
Very simply curried chops. This is a recipe that my Mom always made when I was a kid. We are not sure who Uncle Percy is. Shirley, who gave this recipe to my Mom, doesn't have an Uncle Percy so we are not sure. I recently got her to send it to me again as I wanted to make it. Preparation time does not include the marinating time of approximately 1 hour.
- 750 g lamb lamb neck chops
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- salt and pepper
- 2 cups water
- Trim fat from chops.
- Crush garlic.
- Combine all the ingredients except chops.
- Put chops in a baking dish.
- Pour combined ingredients over chops.
- Let stand for at least one hour.
- Bake in oven (150 C-160C) or (300-325 degrees Fahrenheit) uncovered for approximately 1 hour or until chops are tender.
- I serve this with rice and steamed veggies.
Just delicious! The next time (and there will be a next time!) I will add at most a cup and a half of water to the other marinade ingredients...it was too watery for my taste with 2 cups. I also will use a much larger cooking dish so the marinade/sauce will cook down in the amount of time specified. I had to cook mine at least a half-hour longer to get a sauce that had any body. All this aside, the taste is outstanding. Update and a five-star rating. Leftover these are even better....just scrumptious.
I used pork chops instead of the lamb chops, personal preference, less water as suggested by another reviewer, and they turned out delicious. Served them with small whole new potatoes with butter and dill, and green beans steamed and then sauteed with mushrooms and onions.