Recipe by Sarah_Jayne
Another recipe from the 1980 version of the Grace Evangelical Congregational Church cookbook from Muir, Pennsylvania that was given to me by my Nana when I became an adult. This recipe was submitted to the cookbook by my Uncle John who really is a rather good cook. It is in the 'Men Only and Junior Cooks' section of the church cookbook.
- 4 -5 lbs chicken, cut up into pieces
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 cup salad oil
- 1⁄3 cup onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 (16 ounce) cans tomatoes
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons parsley, snipped
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 8 ounces spaghetti, cooked and drained
- parmesan cheese, grated
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash chicken pieces and pat dry.
- Season chicken with 1 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper.
- In Dutch oven, brown chicken in oil; remove chicken.
- Pour off all but 3 tablespoons oil.
- Add onion and garlic.
- Cook and stir until tender.
- Stir in chicken and remaining ingredients except spaghetti and cheese.
- Cover tightly and cook 1 to 1 1/2 hours or until tender. Stir occasionally adding water if necessary.
- Skim off excess fat.
- Serve on spaghetti and sprinkle with cheese.