Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
- 3 cups canned sweet potatoes
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup reduced-calorie margarine
- 4 egg whites, beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄3 cup low-fat milk
- 1 cup oatmeal
- 1⁄2 cup reduced-calorie margarine
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Drain juice from sweet potatoes.
- Put the sugar, 1/4 cup margarine, egg whites, vanilla and milk in a large bowl and mix at medium speed until fluffy.
- Spread this mixture into a 8x8 baking pan which has been sprayed with nonstick cooking spray.
- Mix the other ingredients (brown sugar, oatmeal, margarine, and cinnamon) in a small bowl and sprinkle on top of sweet potatoes.
- Bake about 20-30 minutes at 350.
These were very delicious, but also very sweet (which I happen to love, but not everyone might). It may have been because my canned sweet potatoes had been packed in syrup - if yours are too, I would recommend reducing the white sugar probably by half, or maybe completely eliminate. I subbed Splenda for the white sugar, and only used about 1/3 c. margarine for the topping. Also used 1/2 c. egg substitute for the egg whites, and the consistency probably was not as firm as it should have been. Still made for delicious eating, however. The oatmeal adds a wonderful crunch!