The secret is the simple sauce. Everyone compliments the unique taste. These are great for parties served from a chafing dish or crockpot with toothpicks but can even be served as an entre with pasta. You can even use premade frozen meatballs but they won't be as good.
- Combine first nine meatball ingredients well and let rest in refridgerator for min 30 minutes.
- Roll into meatball shapes (small for cocktails and med-large for entres).
- Heat oil and brown in skillet over medium heat stirring to brown on all sides. Brown in batches so pan is not crowded and they can brown and not steam. Small meatballs will cook though in about 10 mins (larger ones will obviously take a little longer). You could also brown on oiled sheet pan in 350 degree oven turning every five minutes until browned and cooked through (approx 20 mins).
- For sauce.
- Combine ketchup, sherry and oregano and pour over browned meatballs. Heat until sauce simmers and meatballs are warmed through.
- Serve in a lighted chafing dish (or crockpot) for cocktail party with toothpicks.
- Meatballs in sauce can be frozen and simply warmed in microwave or stovetop.