1/2 Photos of Uncle Emil’s Czech-Style Sauerkraut
Growing up we ate this delicious sauerkraut w/roast pork & roast duck dinners, often w/dumplings as a 2nd side dish. Every family's treasured recipe has a story. My great-uncle Emil (Placek) was Czech by heritage, but American born. 1 dy he walked into a diner in Nebr & was face-to-face w/my Irish great-aunt Loretta (Sullivan). She was cookin up a storm & he was hungry & smitten, so it was a fated marriage of “sweet & sauer”. Lots of Irish colleens followed my Aunt Loretta & made great kraut using applesauce & Step #5 below. We all overuse the word “best” if talking about things we love, so I won't do that. This is the BEST! (Noted time is 30 min total for all prep & cooking)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Put sauerkraut & liquid, butter & caraway seeds in a lrg saucepan over med heat. When the mixture begins to bubble slightly, lower heat to simmer.
- 2Peel & grate the potato & onion. Add them to top of the kraut & press lightly into the kraut w/the flat surface of a spoon. Do not stir into the kraut.
- 3Cover & cont to simmer (add sml amt of water as needed) till the grated potato is cooked. Now combine the pan contents (this process keeps raw potato from scorching &/or sticking to the bottom of the pan).
- 4Add the applesauce, mix well & taste. Add more applesauce if you prefer a sweeter, more apple flavored kraut.
- 5All we need now is some meat flavor in the kraut. If you have meat drippings for that, deglaze your meat pan & add to the kraut. If not, add a chicken bouillon cube to the kraut. Be sure it's completely dissolved & mixed in well w/the kraut. Serve it up!
- 6NOTES: After pan contents are combined in #3, stir freq to ck moisture & prevent any ingredients from sticking to the pan. --- After the last step, you can cont to simmer if you feel the kraut is too liquid, but is unlikely to be needed.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Uncle Emil’s Czech-Style Sauerkraut
Serving Size: 1 (180 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 150.5
- Calories from Fat 71
- Total Fat 7.9 g
- Saturated Fat 4.9 g
- Cholesterol 20.3 mg
- Sodium 561.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 19.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.5 g
- Sugars 2.4 g
- Protein 1.7 g