Recipe by Linda's Busy Kitchen
Great on hot dogs, hamburgers, and with beans!
Top Review by JustMeMelMel
After the raving reviews I had to try my hand at this. It was a day long project, but one that I will reap the rewards of, and my family will be happy when I present them some to have at home. I can't wait for Christmas when I make up my goodie baskets and show off my talents! This relish has great flavor and crispy and delicious. It will be used on and in many things here. Thanks in advance for making me a "Relish Queen"!
- 1 1⁄2 gallons green tomatoes, after ground up
- 6 large onions, cut into wedges
- 4 large sweet red peppers, cleaned, and cut into chunks
- 1 cup salt
- 12 cups sugar
- 2 tablespoons celery seeds
- 4 tablespoons mustard seeds
- 6 cups vinegar
- 1 tablespoon turmeric powder
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash tomatoes, and cut into wedges to grind.
- (I use an old fashioned meat grinder that attaches to the kitchen table).
- Grind the tomatoes, onions, and peppers. Put together in a BIG container or pan, and put the salt over these 3 ingredients, and let.
- stand for 5 hours.
- Drain off all liquid, and then add sugar, celery seed, mustard seed, vinegar, and tumeric powder. Boil all for 25 minutes.
- Put in hot jars while relish is hot, and process in a hot water bath for 15 minutes.
- Make sure the seal is down on top of canning jar when completed.