Recipe by Chef GreanEyes
courtesy of pauladeen.com
Top Review by GlutenFreeInDixie
This was great! I used the remaining seasoned buttermilk (after I removed the pickles) to batter up some mushrooms too, and they were delicious! I was out of normal hot sauce so I combined some tobasco, some sriracha, and some spicy kimchi juice... it was awesome.
- 1 (24 ounce) jar kosher dill pickles (spears or slices)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 cup louisiana hot sauce (Texas Pete)
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- 1 gallon peanut oil
- 2 cups batter frying mix (Uncle Bubba's Fry Mix #477285)
Directions See How It's Made
- Drain the juice from the pickle jar and refill the jar with the garlic powder, hot sauce, and buttermilk. Marinate the pickles for at least 30 minutes.
- In a Dutch oven over medium-high heat, heat the oil to 350 degrees F. Drain the pickles. Put the fry mix in a large mixing bowl, and toss the pickles to coat thoroughly. Shake off the excess mix by tossing lightly in a strainer and deep fry the pickles in batches for 3 to 5 minutes, depending on the size of the spears.
- When golden brown, remove the pickles from the oil with a clean strainer or slotted metal spoon and place on paper towels to drain off any excess oil. Serve immediately.