Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
Wow, is this ever good! This cake needs at least an hour to rest before serving, it's even better the next day, so plan ahead. I do like the glaze, but the cake is great on it's own as well. I have used pecans instead of walnuts with good results. I also sprinkle some lemon juice on the diced apples so they don't brown. Check the cake at 1 hour, mine is done at 75 minutes. Without the glaze, this cake freezes well. Adapted from Food Network, Paula Deen. She rocks!!
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 3 cups granny smith apples, diced, about 2 apples
- 1 cup chopped walnuts, lightly toasted
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon allspice
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 3 eggs
- Glaze: Add all the ingredients to a small bowl and stir until smooth. Set the bowl aside.
- Cake: Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Lightly grease a Bundt pan or tube pan.
- In a bowl, mix together the apples, walnuts, vanilla, and spices.
- In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda, and salt.
- Using an electric mixer beat the sugar, oil, butter and eggs in a large bowl. Add in the dry ingredients and beat until completely combined. Fold in the apple mixture.
- Scrape the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 1 hour and 30 minutes or until a tester inserted into the middle of the cake comes out clean.
- Allow the cake to fully cool in the pan, about 1 hour, and then turn it out onto a plate.
- Drizzle the apple cake with some of the honey glaze, serve and enjoy!
This cake is really delicious. Paula Deen rocks!
I made this cake twice my family and friends love it Thanks Paula Deend for making me the family official baker ( just a little sarcasm) but in truth I am happy about it Now I am able to be apart of that intimate kitchen time That only my sisters shared I glad and hope I will never hear again "we will do it you'll just be in the way " Thanks again Paula