Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
I have been making this recipe for many years and had it published in my cookbook. Using the 3 colors of Sweet Peppers makes the presentation look great and it is very tasty. Choose nicely shaped large peppers.
- 1 cup brown basmati rice
- 2 1⁄2 cups vegetable broth
- 5 red saffron strands
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 4 large garlic cloves, minced
- 2 large celery ribs, chopped small
- 2 large carrots, peeled and diced small
- 8 fluid ounces canned red kidney beans, drained, reserve liquid
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon hot red pepper flakes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil, for brushing pan
- 6 large sweet peppers, remove top, cored and seeded
- 2 large tomatoes, seeded and diced
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Rinse rice in cold water at least 5 times to remove chaffe.
- In a saucepan or rice cooker, add rice, broth and saffron strands and bring to boil. Reduce to simmer, cover and cook rice for 20 minutes or until all liquid is absorbed.
- In the meantime, in a large frying pan, heat olive oil on medium-high heat; add onions and saute for 4 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add garlic, celery, carrots and saute for another 4 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- In a mixing bowl, mix together cooked rice and onion mixture.
- Add drained kidney beans and 2 tablespoons of reserved bean liquid and mix well.
- Add basil, pepper flakes, oregano, 1/2 teaspoon of salt, pepper and parsley and mix to incorporate.
- Cut the tops off on each pepper, remove seeds and membranes.
- Prepare a shallow oven-proof casserole dish by brushing with 1 tablespoon of olive oil.
- Place the peppers upright with the cut opening facing upwards.
- Fill each pepper with the mixture to within 1/2 inch of the top.
- In a small bowl, combine diced tomatoes and remaining 1/4 teaspoon of salt and mix well.
- Spoon tomatoes equally into each pepper.
- Add 1 tablespoon of reserved kidney bean liquid over the tomatoes in each pepper.
- Cover dish tightly with aluminum foil and bake in preheated 350 F oven for 35 to 45 minutes or until peppers are tender.
- Serve hot.
- NOTE: You may also use long grain white rice instead of brown rice.
- For a nice presentation, select 2 sweet red peppers, 2 green peppers and 2 orange peppers.
This sounds fantastic, can't wait to make it. We love stuffed peppers. I wonder, can I use regular brown rice, instead of the basmati... It's so hard to find out of the ordinary ingredients where I live...