Recipe by William (Uncle Bill) Anatooskin
I have been making this recipe for many years and had it published in my cookbook. Using the 3 colors of Sweet Peppers makes the presentation look great and it is very tasty. Choose nicely shaped large peppers.
Top Review by Deedee A.
This sounds fantastic, can't wait to make it. We love stuffed peppers. I wonder, can I use regular brown rice, instead of the basmati... It's so hard to find out of the ordinary ingredients where I live...
- 1 cup brown basmati rice
- 2 1⁄2 cups vegetable broth
- 5 red saffron strands
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 4 large garlic cloves, minced
- 2 large celery ribs, chopped small
- 2 large carrots, peeled and diced small
- 8 fluid ounces canned red kidney beans, drained, reserve liquid
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon hot red pepper flakes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil, for brushing pan
- 6 large sweet peppers, remove top, cored and seeded
- 2 large tomatoes, seeded and diced
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Rinse rice in cold water at least 5 times to remove chaffe.
- In a saucepan or rice cooker, add rice, broth and saffron strands and bring to boil. Reduce to simmer, cover and cook rice for 20 minutes or until all liquid is absorbed.
- In the meantime, in a large frying pan, heat olive oil on medium-high heat; add onions and saute for 4 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add garlic, celery, carrots and saute for another 4 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- In a mixing bowl, mix together cooked rice and onion mixture.
- Add drained kidney beans and 2 tablespoons of reserved bean liquid and mix well.
- Add basil, pepper flakes, oregano, 1/2 teaspoon of salt, pepper and parsley and mix to incorporate.
- Cut the tops off on each pepper, remove seeds and membranes.
- Prepare a shallow oven-proof casserole dish by brushing with 1 tablespoon of olive oil.
- Place the peppers upright with the cut opening facing upwards.
- Fill each pepper with the mixture to within 1/2 inch of the top.
- In a small bowl, combine diced tomatoes and remaining 1/4 teaspoon of salt and mix well.
- Spoon tomatoes equally into each pepper.
- Add 1 tablespoon of reserved kidney bean liquid over the tomatoes in each pepper.
- Cover dish tightly with aluminum foil and bake in preheated 350 F oven for 35 to 45 minutes or until peppers are tender.
- Serve hot.
- NOTE: You may also use long grain white rice instead of brown rice.
- For a nice presentation, select 2 sweet red peppers, 2 green peppers and 2 orange peppers.