Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
A hearty and healthy soup. Excellent on chilly days. Very easy to prepare.
- 14.79 ml extra virgin olive oil
- 177.44 ml chopped onion
- 709.77 ml water
- 473.18 ml diced zucchini
- 236.59 ml diced carrot, peeled
- 236.59 ml canned cannellini beans or 236.59 ml you may use other white beans
- 177.44 ml diced celery
- 4.92 ml dried basil or 29.58 ml finely chopped fresh basil
- 1.23 ml dried oregano
- 1.23 ml salt
- 0.59 ml fresh coarse ground black pepper
- 28 fluid ounce canned plum tomatoes, dice and include liquid
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 59.14 ml uncooked ditalini or 59.14 ml elbow macaroni
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Add chopped onion and sauté for 4 minutes or until just lightly browned.
- Add water, zucchini, carrots, canellini beans, celery, basil, oregano salt, pepper, tomatoes and garlic.
- Bring to boil; reduce heat, cover and simmer on medium-low heat for 25 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add macaroni, cover and cook an additional 10 minutes.
- Adjust spices to suit your taste.
- Serve hot.
Yum yum! A very warming and tasty minestrone with lots of zucchini (a plus!) It is also very tomato-ey, so if you love tomatoes you will enjoy this very much. My only suggestion is to cook the celery a little longer (with the onions maybe?) so they become more tender. I had to cook my soup awhile more until they softened. Also added some fresh spinach and basil from the garden. Thanks, Uncle Bill. [Made for All You Can Cook Tag]
Uncle Bill, this is fantastic. I followed your recipe exactly but I used vegetable stock instead of water because I had some I needed to use up. My husband takes soup for lunch in the winter and he raved about this when he came home. Thanks for another great recipe.
Turned out very simple and amazing.