Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
A hearty and healthy soup. Excellent on chilly days. Very easy to prepare.
Make and share this Uncle Bill's Vegetarian Minestrone Soup recipe from Food.com.
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 3⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 3 cups water
- 2 cups diced zucchini
- 1 cup diced carrot, peeled
- 1 cup canned cannellini beans or 1 cup you may use other white beans
- 3⁄4 cup diced celery
- 1 teaspoon dried basil or 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh basil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon fresh coarse ground black pepper
- 28 fluid ounces canned plum tomatoes, dice and include liquid
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4 cup uncooked ditalini or 1⁄4 cup elbow macaroni
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Add chopped onion and sauté for 4 minutes or until just lightly browned.
- Add water, zucchini, carrots, canellini beans, celery, basil, oregano salt, pepper, tomatoes and garlic.
- Bring to boil; reduce heat, cover and simmer on medium-low heat for 25 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add macaroni, cover and cook an additional 10 minutes.
- Adjust spices to suit your taste.
- Serve hot.
Yum yum! A very warming and tasty minestrone with lots of zucchini (a plus!) It is also very tomato-ey, so if you love tomatoes you will enjoy this very much. My only suggestion is to cook the celery a little longer (with the onions maybe?) so they become more tender. I had to cook my soup awhile more until they softened. Also added some fresh spinach and basil from the garden. Thanks, Uncle Bill. [Made for All You Can Cook Tag]
Uncle Bill, this is fantastic. I followed your recipe exactly but I used vegetable stock instead of water because I had some I needed to use up. My husband takes soup for lunch in the winter and he raved about this when he came home. Thanks for another great recipe.
Just made this for dinner... amazing ?