Recipe by William (Uncle Bill) Anatooskin
A very tasty and hearty soup with elegant flavors and easy to make.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large carrot, peeled and diced small
- 3 large scallions, sliced small
- 1⁄3 cup onion, diced small
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 2 teaspoons chicken soup base
- 1 medium potato, peeled and diced small
- 1 (12 ounce) package frozen sweet peas (thawed)
- 1 large celery rib, chopped small
- 1⁄2 cup whipping cream
- 1⁄4 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped fresh parsley (to garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large 10 cup saucepan, on medium-high heat, melt butter, add olive oil and stir to blend.
- Add carrots, scallions, onions and saute' for 3 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add flour, stirring constantly until well blended, about 1 minute. DO NOT LET MIXTURE BURN.
- Add chicken broth, water, chicken soup base, potatoes and cook for about 10 minutes or until potatoes are tender, stirring occasionally.
- Add peas, celery and reduce heat to simmer and cook until carrots are tender, about 4 minutes. DO NOT OVERCOOK PEAS.
- Process the soup in a food processor or blender in batches until smooth and return to saucepan.
- Stir in whipping cream, sugar, salt, nutmeg and sherry and heat soup through.
- Adjust seasonings to taste.
- Serve with a sprinkle of minced parsley.
- This soup may be eaten HOT or COLD.