1/1 Photo of Uncle Bill's Sushi Rice and California Rolls
William (Uncle Bill) Anatooskin's Note:
This is my version to make Sushi. I experimented many times to come up with a tasty recipe ;this recipe.
My Private Note
Sushi r ...
Units: US | Metric
- 2 1/4 cups cold water
- 1 1/2 cups japanese sushi rice (Nishiki)
- 1/2 cup japanese sushi seasoning (Mizikan)
- 2 tablespoons mirin
- 1 1/2 tablespoons salt
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 7.5 (8 inch) nori (dried seaweed sheets)
- 2 teaspoons wasabi paste, for each nori sheet
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce, for each nori sheet (optional)
- 1 teaspoon pickled ginger, for each nori sheet
- 1Suggested ingredients to use for Sushi rolls, use at least 4 items of your choice.
- 2Smoked salmon strips.
- 3Pickled ginger.
- 4Cucumber, peeled and cut into 1/8 inch thick slices.
- 5Avocado, peeled and cut into 1/4 inch thick strips.
- 6Steamed asparagus.
- 7Sweet red pepper strips.
- 8Carrot, peeled and cut into thin strips.
- 9Green onions.
- 10Cooked fresh shrimp.
- 11PREPARING SUSHI RICE.
- 12Rinse the rice at least 2 times in cold water, then drain well.
- 13In a rice cooker add the 2 1/4 cups of cold water and 1 1/2 cups of rice. Place cover, press the switch to cook. The cooker will shut off automatically in approximately 20 minutes. Do not lift lid while cooking.
- 14If using a saucepan, add the water and rice and bring to boil. Reduce heat to simmer, cover and cook for 18 to 20 minutes. Do not lift lid while cooking.
- 15When rice is cooked, remove to a large bowl and let rice cool slightly.
- 16In the meantime, in a small saucepan, add the Japanese Sushi Seasoning, Mirin, salt and sugar. Slowly bring to boil and cook until the sugar is completely dissolved, and continue to cook for another 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and let cool until just warm.
- 17Use a small electric fan to fan the rice while adding the seasoning mixture.
- 18Pour the seasoning mixture over the rice in small amounts, fanning and gently stirring with a wooden spoon to coat the rice.
- 19Place rice in the refrigerator to cool and the rice to fully absorb the seasoning mixture.
- 20Preparing Sushi California Rolls.
- 21Lay 1 sheet of Nori seaweed with shiny side down on a bamboo sushi mat.
- 22Spread the wasabi paste over the Nori sheet to within 1 inch of the top end.
- 23Spread a 1/4 inch layer of cooled rice over the Nori sheet to within 1 inch of the top end (the farthest part of the sheet from you.
- 24Sprinkle some soy sauce over the rice if desired.
- 25Lay your selected ingredients in a horizontal line on the rice across the Nori sheet at the edge nearest you.
- 26As a suggestion, use smoked salmon, pickled ginger, avocado slices, green onions, carrot strips, cucumber strips, and sweet red pepper strips.
- 27Using the bamboo mat, start rolling from the edge closest to you over the filling, moving the front edge of the mat ahead as you roll, rolling fairly tightly.
- 28Dampen the top edge with water to seal the edge of the Sushi roll.
- 29Remove the Sushi roll from the mat and slice the roll cross-wise into about 1/2 inch thick round pieces.
- 30Make a mixture of 3 tablespoons of soy sauce and 1 teaspoon of wasabi paste, mixed well and use this as a dip if desired.
- 31Refrigerate any unused sushi rolls.
- 32Note: To thinly slice the carrots and cucumbers, use a potato peeler.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Uncle Bill's Sushi Rice and California Rolls
Serving Size: 1 (940 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 216.5
- Calories from Fat 2
- Total Fat 0.2 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 1780.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 49.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.3 g
- Sugars 11.1 g
- Protein 3.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: