William (Uncle Bill) Anatooskin's Note:
This soup is easy to make. Somewhat on the rich side but very tasty.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 large yukon gold potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1/2 cup butter, divided
- 2 large onions, sliced thin
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 large leek, cut, washed, then chopped (white part only)
- 1 large celery rib, chopped small
- 4 large garlic cloves, chopped
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup whole milk, homogenized
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/2 cup freshly grated padano cheese
- 4 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1In a large saucepan or a medium cooking pot, add potatoes, cover with water; bring to boil, reduce heat, cover and cook for about 10 minutes. The potatoes will not be fully cooked and that is fine.
- 2Drain and transfer to a large cooking pot.
- 3In a large frying pan, on medium-high heat, melt 1/4 cup of butter.
- 4Add sliced onions, stir and cook until onions are translucent, about 3 minutes.
- 5Add flour and stir well to coat onions.
- 6Add leeks, celery and garlic and fry for about 2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 7Transfer the onion-leek mixture to the large cooking pot.
- 8Add chicken broth, bring to boil, reduce heat and cook for about 3 minutes.
- 9Add the milk, whipping cream, salt, pepper, thyme, and celery seeds.
- 10Bring the soup to boil, reduce heat and cook for 2 minutes.
- 11Remove from heat and let cool for 5 minutes.
- 12In a food processor or blender, puree soup in batches until smooth and return to the cooking pot. You may also use an immersion blender.
- 13Add grated cheese and bring to just boil or until cheese melts.
- 14Adjust seasonings to taste.
- 15Serve soup hot.
- 16Refrigerate any unused portion ot the soup.
Browse Our Top Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Uncle Bill's Special Creamy Potato Soup
Serving Size: 1 (350 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 534.2
- Calories from Fat 312
- Total Fat 34.7 g
- Saturated Fat 21.3 g
- Cholesterol 105.1 mg
- Sodium 827.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 47.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.2 g
- Sugars 6.8 g
- Protein 10.9 g