Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
This soup is easy to make. Somewhat on the rich side but very tasty.
Make and share this Uncle Bill's Special Creamy Potato Soup recipe from Food.com.
- 6 large yukon gold potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1⁄2 cup butter, divided
- 2 large onions, sliced thin
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 large leek, cut, washed, then chopped (white part only)
- 1 large celery rib, chopped small
- 4 large garlic cloves, chopped
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup whole milk, homogenized
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon celery seed
- 1⁄2 cup freshly grated padano cheese
- 4 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- In a large saucepan or a medium cooking pot, add potatoes, cover with water; bring to boil, reduce heat, cover and cook for about 10 minutes. The potatoes will not be fully cooked and that is fine.
- Drain and transfer to a large cooking pot.
- In a large frying pan, on medium-high heat, melt 1/4 cup of butter.
- Add sliced onions, stir and cook until onions are translucent, about 3 minutes.
- Add flour and stir well to coat onions.
- Add leeks, celery and garlic and fry for about 2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Transfer the onion-leek mixture to the large cooking pot.
- Add chicken broth, bring to boil, reduce heat and cook for about 3 minutes.
- Add the milk, whipping cream, salt, pepper, thyme, and celery seeds.
- Bring the soup to boil, reduce heat and cook for 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let cool for 5 minutes.
- In a food processor or blender, puree soup in batches until smooth and return to the cooking pot. You may also use an immersion blender.
- Add grated cheese and bring to just boil or until cheese melts.
- Adjust seasonings to taste.
- Serve soup hot.
- Refrigerate any unused portion ot the soup.
Very nice! I had to use 1% milk and only half a cup of 18% cream as that was all I had in the fridge, but it still made for a deliciously creamy soup.