1 hr 10 mins
William (Uncle Bill) Anatooskin's Note:
This recipe originally was given to me by a Portugese family. I modified the recipe to give it a much better tasting marinade and it has been enjoyed by all including the original Portugese.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 (2 1/2 lb) live dungeness crabs, about
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 6 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 3 large eggs, hard boiled
- 1 medium fresh tomato, chopped
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup processed pimiento
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large sweet red pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 10 ounces beer, of your choice (drink the remainder)
- 1In an extra large cooking pot, fill 3/4 full with water and bring to boil.
- 2Add 6 tablespoons of coarse salt to each 2 gallons of water.
- 3When boiling, add crabs either one or two at a time, depending on how big the pot is.
- 4Make sure that the crab legs are sticking up when you drop the crabs into the water.
- 5You may wish to use tongs to handle the crabs.
- 6DO NOT let the main claws grab your hand or fingers.
- 7Immediately place cover on the pot.
- 8Boil the crab for about 10 minutes or until the shell turns orangey in color.
- 9DO NOT OVERCOOK THE CRAB.
- 10Remove crab from pot and immediately run cold water over the crab to cool and to prevent from further cooking.
- 11Continue to cook the remaining crabs in the same manner.
- 12Break legs off crab and using a paring knife, scrape all the fuzz off the legs and then rinse in cold water.
- 13Remove the shell, discard all parts including any liquid inside the shell; reserve the shell.
- 14Remove all the inside body parts from the body of the crab and discard.
- 15Break body in half (white meat) and rinse under cold water to remove any body parts.
- 16Place legs, claws and the body with the white meat into a large bowl.
- 17In the meantime, hard boil the eggs, cook about 15 minutes.
- 18When eggs are done, immediately cool under cold water.
- 19Remove egg shells and discard.
- 20Cut the eggs in half and remove the yolk; set aside.
- 21Use the hard boiled egg white for other purposes or eat.
- 22In a food processor, add green onions, parsley, egg yolks, fresh tomato and lemon juice and blend until smooth.
- 23Now add cayenne pepper, pimiento, red pepper, olive oil, white vinegar and balsamic vinegar and blend until smooth.
- 24Pour into a large measuring cup or a bowl.
- 25Add beer and gently mix to blend.
- 26Adjust seasonings to taste.
- 27You may wish to add more cayenne pepper for a spicier marinade.
- 28Pour mixture over crab pieces in bowl.
- 29Using 2 large spoons, turn crab to coat all pieces with marinade.
- 30Cover bowl with plastic wrap, place in refrigerator for at least 2 hours, but preferably overnight.
- 31Stir crab pieces at least once during marinate time.
- 32To serve, place crab on a large plate or a turkey plate.
- 33Pour marinade over.
- 34If desired, place sliced banana peppers (hot or regular) and some additional hard boiled eggs, (cut into quarters) on top of the crab pieces.
- 35Supply nut crackers to crack open the legs.
- 36Dip the crab meat into the marinade and enjoy.
Browse Our Top Crab Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Crab Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Uncle Bill's Special Crab
Serving Size: 1 (572 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 675.1
- Calories from Fat 188
- Total Fat 20.9 g
- Saturated Fat 3.2 g
- Cholesterol 404.0 mg
- Sodium 1879.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 10.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.0 g
- Sugars 3.4 g
- Protein 101.9 g