William (Uncle Bill) Anatooskin's Note:
I have been making this salad for over 30 years and still think it is one of the best.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 large hard-boiled eggs, divided
- 8 large red potatoes or 8 large yukon gold potatoes, washed well, do not peel
- 5 green onions or 4 scallions, chopped small
- 10 large radishes, chopped into small cubes
- 4 large celery ribs, chopped small
- 1/2 cup chopped gherkins or 1/2 cup dill pickle
- 2 cups Miracle Whip (no subsitutes)
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh dill weed
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons gherkin pickle juice
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons celery seeds (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon Hungarian paprika, for sprinkle
- 4 sprigs fresh parsley (to garnish) (optional)
- 1Punch a hole in the small end of the eggs using an egg piercer.
- 2Place eggs in a saucepan and cover with cold water; bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes. When cooked, drain and cover with cold water to cool.
- 3When cooled,peel, rinse under cold water and set aside.
- 4In the meantime, scrub potatoes and add to a large saucepan or cooking pot. Cover with cold water and bring to boil. Reduce heat, cover and cook for about 15 minutes just until the potatoes are fork tender. Do not overcook.
- 5Drain potatoes and let cool slightly.
- 6When cooled enough to handle, remove any skins using a paring knife and discard.
- 7Cut potatoes into about 1/2 inch cubes and add to a large mixing bowl.
- 8Using an egg cutter, cut 4 hard boiled eggs and add to bowl.
- 9Chop green onions, both green and white parts and add to bowl.
- 10Dice radishes to about 1/4 inch cubes and add to bowl.
- 11Dice celery into 1/4 inch cubes and add to bowl.
- 12Add chopped gherkins to bowl.
- 13Gently mix the ingredients to blend.
- 14In a mixing bowl, add Kraft Miracle Whip Mayonnaise, dry mustard, Dijon mustard, salt, pepper, chopped dill weed, sugar, cider vinegar, pickle juice, granulated garlic powder, celery seed and mix well to blend.
- 15Add mixture to the large bowl and gently mix the ingredients until well mixed and coated.
- 16The potato salad should be quite moist, not dry and if necessary, add more mayonnaise to suit your taste.
- 17Transfer potato salad to a nice serving bowl.
- 18Cut the remaining 2 hard-boiled eggs into quarters and place on the top of the potato salad decoratively.
- 19Sprinkle over with Hungarian Paprika.
- 20Place a few sprigs of fresh parsley to decorate.
- 21Refrigerate potato salad for a least one hour before serving.
- 22Refrigerate any unused potato salad and it should be used within 3 days.
Browse Our Top Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Uncle Bill's Special and Favorite Potato Salad
Serving Size: 1 (435 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 462.9
- Calories from Fat 58
- Total Fat 6.4 g
- Saturated Fat 1.8 g
- Cholesterol 212.0 mg
- Sodium 729.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 85.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 10.1 g
- Sugars 9.6 g
- Protein 16.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: