1 hr 5 mins
William (Uncle Bill) Anatooskin's Note:
An excellent veggie borscht, low in calories, fat and cholesterol.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 44.37 ml margarine
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 large carrot, peeled and grated
- 1 small green pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 small sweet red pepper, seeded and diced
- 236.59 ml thinly shredded green cabbage
- 236.59 ml thinly shredded red cabbage
- 1 medium beet, peeled and grated
- 1419.54 ml water
- 1419.54 ml vegetable broth or 1419.54 ml chicken broth
- 1 large potato, peeled and cubed 1/2 inch
- 4 fluid ounce tomato paste
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 large bay leaf
- 1.23 ml crushed black peppercorns
- 118.29 ml cauliflower floret (or more if desired)
- 1 large celery rib, chopped small
- 1 medium red apple, peeled, cored and diced
- 2.46 ml Hungarian paprika
- 4.92 ml soy sauce
- 14.78 ml dried dill weed
- 9.85 ml lemon juice
- 1In a large frying pan, melt margarine over medium heat.
- 2Add chopped onions, grated carrots, diced green and red peppers and saute' for 5 minutes.
- 3Stir in green and red shredded cabbage, grated beet and saute' for 10 minutes or until vegetables are softened.
- 4Transfer sautéed vegetables to a large cooking pot.
- 5Add water, vegetable broth, cubed potatoes, tomato paste, chopped garlic, bay leaf, crushed peppercorns and bring to boil.
- 6Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 7Add cauliflower florets, chopped celery, diced apple, paprika, soy sauce, dill weed and lemon juice and simmer covered for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 8Remove from heat.
- 9Remove and discard bay leaf.
- 10Adjust seasonings to taste.
- 11Let borscht sit for 15 minutes before serving.
- 12Refrigerate any unused portion.
Browse Our Top Lemon Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lemon Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Uncle Bill's Simple Vegetable Borscht
Serving Size: 1 (202 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 82.5
- Calories from Fat 27
- Total Fat 3.0 g
- Saturated Fat 0.5 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 156.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 13.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.5 g
- Sugars 4.8 g
- Protein 1.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: