Recipe by William (Uncle Bill) Anatooskin
A very tasty recipe that is also good when re-heated. I have been making this recipe for many years.
Top Review by Jockey
Bill's done it again. Its a winner. When I looked at it after it was assembled I thought oh man, this probably won't be so good and I'll bet its bland too. WRONG and glad. It was pretty darn good. I used pork sausage as I never have lamb, frozen cauliflower, otherwise followed recipe. Thanks for allowing me to be wrong once again Bill!
- 2 large potatoes, peeled and boiled
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 1⁄2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1⁄2 lb ground lamb (optional)
- 1 medium onion, chopped small
- 4 large garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and shredded
- 1 cup frozen tiny peas
- 1 cup cauliflower floret
- 1 cup zucchini, chopped small
- 1 cup mushroom, sliced
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 tablespoon spaghetti seasoning
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 3⁄4 cup grated cheddar cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- In a medium size saucepan, add cubed potatoes, cover with water and cook until tender; about 15 minutes.
- Drain potatoes when cooked; mash and set aside.
- In the meantime, in a large frying pan, add oil and butter and heat to melt on medium heat.
- In a bowl, combine ground beef, ground lamb, onions, garlic, beaten eggs, Worcestershire sauce and mix well to incorporate.
- Add mixture to frying pan and cook until beef is browned, about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Now add carrots, petite peas, cauliflower florets, chopped zucchini, mushrooms, tomato paste, chili powder, seasoning salt, garlic salt, spaghetti seasoning and dry mustard; mix well and cook for about 5 minutes stirring often.
- Prepare a 7" x 10" or a 8" x 8" casserole dish by rubbing interior with butter or spraying with a vegetable oil.
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Transfer beef mixture to prepared casserole dish, level and pat down slightly with a spatula.
- Spread mashed potatoes evenly over the top.
- Bake in preheated 325°F oven for 30 minutes or until potatoes are lightly browned.
- Now sprinkle the grated cheese over the potatoes and return to oven and bake until cheese melts, about 5 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let sit for about 5 minutes to set before cutting into 2 1/2 by 2 1/2 inch squares.
- Serve with a dollop of ketchup if desired.
- Refrigerate any unused portions.
- Reheat 2 squares at a time in a microwave proof dish, on HIGH (full power) for 3 minutes or until nice and hot.