Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
I have been making these cookies for over 50 years. The recipe was given to me by my Nana who came to Canada from England just after the First World War.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a large mixing bowl, sift flour with baking powder and salt.
- In a separate mixing bowl, mix together butter, sugar and almond extract; beat until very light and fluffy.
- Combine butter mixture with flour and mix by hand until dough is very smooth.
- If dough is too hard to handle, refrigerate for about 1/2 hour to chill.
- Form dough into 1 inch balls.
- Place dough balls on ungreased cookie sheets.
- Flatten to desired thickness, about 1/4 inch thick using the bottom of a drinking glass preferably with a pattern on the bottom.
- Bake in preheated 350 F oven for 20 minutes or until light golden brown.
- DO NOT OVERBAKE.
- Store cookies in a container with lid.
Well I should never have made these cookies, dh and me can't stop eating them.. I truly loved the whipped shortbread cookies,however; the almond extract in the scotch shortbread cookies and extra butter just blasted them off the planet.. p.S thanks uncle bill for your reponse to my question. Nita
These are incredible! I've been searching for my idea of the ultimate shortbread cookie and this is it. I have always made my cookies with icing sugar and cornstarch. They are excellent and I love them but they aren't my dream shortbread lol. These are! One thing I did differently though was to dip the bottom of my glass in sugar before pressing down on the cookies. Thank you so much for sharing this wonderful recipe!
These are the most amazing cookies I have ever eaten.I made them for christmas I got so many complements. A+