Recipe by William (Uncle Bill) Anatooskin
I have been making these cookies for over 50 years. The recipe was given to me by my Nana who came to Canada from England just after the First World War.
Top Review by NITA FORMALLY 294904 SOUTHERN GIRL
Well I should never have made these cookies, dh and me can't stop eating them.. I truly loved the whipped shortbread cookies,however; the almond extract in the scotch shortbread cookies and extra butter just blasted them off the planet.. p.S thanks uncle bill for your reponse to my question. Nita
- 8 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups butter, softened
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a large mixing bowl, sift flour with baking powder and salt.
- In a separate mixing bowl, mix together butter, sugar and almond extract; beat until very light and fluffy.
- Combine butter mixture with flour and mix by hand until dough is very smooth.
- If dough is too hard to handle, refrigerate for about 1/2 hour to chill.
- Form dough into 1 inch balls.
- Place dough balls on ungreased cookie sheets.
- Flatten to desired thickness, about 1/4 inch thick using the bottom of a drinking glass preferably with a pattern on the bottom.
- Bake in preheated 350 F oven for 20 minutes or until light golden brown.
- DO NOT OVERBAKE.
- Store cookies in a container with lid.