Recipe by William (Uncle Bill) Anatooskin
This sauerkraut recipe is another very popular perogie dish. COSTCO has a very good brand of sauerkraut, Steinfelds Western Acres, Wine Sauerkraut, a 2 litre size. Yields 4 cups when drained and squeezed.
Top Review by LarryMcQ
The sauerkraut filling is really really good, my wife and I enjoyed them, I will be using this recipe over and over again in the future. The peppers and the garlic blend very nicely with the sauerkraut. Thank You Uncle Bill!
- 4 cups sauerkraut, drained
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped fine
- 1 1⁄2 cups finely chopped onions (1 medium onion)
- 1 large sweet red pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 large green pepper, seeded and diced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Squeeze as much liquid from the sauerkraut and discard.
- In a large frying, add sauerkraut and fry on medium-high heat for 15 minutes, stirring frequently.
- DO NOT BURN AND DO NOT USE ANY BUTTER OR OIL FOR FRYING.
- When done, transfer sauerkraut to a bowl and set aside.
- Using the same frying pan, add butter, garlic, onions and saute' for 3 minutes or until golden.
- Add sweet red pepper, green pepper and sauerkraut, mix well.
- Fry for 10 minutes, stirring often.
- DO NOT BURN.
- Cool slightly before filling dough perogies.
- Use 1 heaping tablespoon for each perogie if using the 4" diameter Mini Form.