Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
This sauerkraut recipe is another very popular perogie dish. COSTCO has a very good brand of sauerkraut, Steinfelds Western Acres, Wine Sauerkraut, a 2 litre size. Yields 4 cups when drained and squeezed.
- 4 cups sauerkraut, drained
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped fine
- 1 1⁄2 cups finely chopped onions (1 medium onion)
- 1 large sweet red pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 large green pepper, seeded and diced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- Squeeze as much liquid from the sauerkraut and discard.
- In a large frying, add sauerkraut and fry on medium-high heat for 15 minutes, stirring frequently.
- DO NOT BURN AND DO NOT USE ANY BUTTER OR OIL FOR FRYING.
- When done, transfer sauerkraut to a bowl and set aside.
- Using the same frying pan, add butter, garlic, onions and saute' for 3 minutes or until golden.
- Add sweet red pepper, green pepper and sauerkraut, mix well.
- Fry for 10 minutes, stirring often.
- DO NOT BURN.
- Cool slightly before filling dough perogies.
- Use 1 heaping tablespoon for each perogie if using the 4" diameter Mini Form.
The sauerkraut filling is really really good, my wife and I enjoyed them, I will be using this recipe over and over again in the future. The peppers and the garlic blend very nicely with the sauerkraut. Thank You Uncle Bill!
This filling was great, not only did my perogies taste better than the others at the potluck; they looked great compared to the gross stinky brown blob-ish kraut in the store bought perogies. Although it took a little bit of prep it was very worth it for the results. My family and I thank you!