Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
A very tasty salmon whether barbecued or baked in the oven. The dill weed enhances the salmon flavor.
- Cut the belly and remove entrails and discard.
- Wash inside well with cold water.
- Remove head and tail of salmon and discard.
- Cut off fins and scrape scales off fish.
- Rinse salmon with cold water and pat dry with paper towels.
- Place salmon on doubled aluminum foil (large enough to wrap around salmon and to fold the edges so that it is sealed).
- In a small mixing bowl, mix together garlic powder, black pepper, seasoning salt and dried dill weed.
- Sprinkle cavity and exterior with this mixture.
- If using fresh dill, lay it whole in the cavity.
- Layer sliced onion and lemon inside fish cavity.
- Bring edges of aluminum foil up around the salmon.
- Before closing, pour olive evenly over salmon.
- Now add 1/2 cup of water.
- Fold aluminum foil over salmon and seal all edges to make air tight.
- Place wrapped salmon directly on barbecue grill.
- If baking in oven, place wrapped salmon on a metal tray and on the middle rack.
- COOKING TIME.
- Preheat barbecue or oven to 425 degrees F.
- Measure fish"closed" at the thickest point before stuffing with onions and lemon.
- For each 1 inch thickness of fish, bake for 15 minutes.
- Example: If fish is 2 1/2 inches thick, cooking time would be 38 to 40 minutes.
- DO NO OVERCOOK, meat should be opaque and flake easily with a fork.
- When fish is cooked, remove from barbecue or oven rack and let rest for about 10 minutes.
- Use CAUTION when opening foil, as the steam could burn you.
- Mayonnaise may be used as an alternate for olive oil.
- Spread 1/2 to 3/4 cup evenly on both sides of exterior of salmon.
- Also, add water as noted above.
Bill - Fantastic recipe. I added 2 sliced cloves of garlic in the stuffing since we are garlic freaks. Beautiful, succulent salmon; one of the nicest we have had!!! Used a piece of Tasmanian salmon instead of a whole fish.
Great flavor and so easy to make. My husband says you must be some cook. All the recpies we try of yours are winners :)
This turned out perfect Bill! As you suggested since my oven isnt working properly I used my broiler and placed the salmon on the middle rack, cooked 10 min one side and 15 min the other. Tasted great and flaked nicely!!! I served it with salad and a mushroom wild rice stuffing which I cooked along side the salmon. Thanks for your help and another great recipe.