1/1 Photo of Uncle Bill's Russian Cabbage Rolls
2 hrs 45 mins
William (Uncle Bill) Anatooskin's Note:
The original recipe was given to me by my Russian Grandmother 55 years ago. I made some modifications to enhance the flavor. These are excellent cabbage rolls but do take time to make.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups long grain rice, cooked (yields 4 cups)
- 4 cups water
- 2 whole savoy cabbage, about 2 pounds each
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 medium onions, chopped small, divided
- 2 tablespoons margarine or 2 tablespoons butter
- 3/4 cup uncooked brown basmati rice
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1/2 lb breakfast pork sausage
- 6 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 3 teaspoons dried dill weed
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 28 fluid ounces condensed tomato soup
- 28 fluid ounces canned plum tomatoes, including liquid
- 12 large bay leaves
- 1In a medium size saucepan, add 2 cups of rice and 4 cups of water, bring to boil; reduce heat to simmer and cook for about 20 minutes or until all water is absorbed.
- 2Fluff rice with a fork; set aside and let cool.
- 3Remove core from savoy cabbage using a long thin knife.
- 4Using a large microwave container with a lid, place cabbage with core side down and add 1/2 cup of water.
- 5Cover and microwave on HIGH (full power) for 10 minutes.
- 6Turn cabbage over and cook on HIGH (full power) for an additional 10 minutes.
- 7Cook each cabbage head separately.
- 8When cabbage is cooked, drain water and let cabbage cool slightly.
- 9Separate leaves carefully and set aside.
- 10Divide chopped onions in two.
- 11In a frying pan add margarine or butter, 1/2 of the onions and saute' until translucent, about 3 to 4 minutes but do not brown.
- 12In a large mixing bowl, mix together both cooked and uncooked rice, cooked and uncooked onions, ground beef, pork sausage, garlic cloves, dill weed, salt, black pepper and sugar and mix well until well blended.
- 13If cabbage leaves are too big, cut them in half along the rib.
- 14Spoon about 2 or 3 heaping teaspoons of mixture onto the wide end of the cabbage leaf.
- 15Bring the end of the cabbage leaf over the mixture, roll part way, then tuck or fold inward the ends to prevent the filling from falling out and continue to roll.
- 16Carefully place each cabbage roll in a single layer (with the end of the roll down), in a 9" x 13" oven-proof casserole dish.
- 17You will require 2- 9" x 13" casserole dishes.
- 18In a food processor or blender, process condensed soup and tomatoes until smooth.
- 19Pour tomato mixture over cabbage rolls until just covered.
- 20If the cabbage rolls are not covered with tomato mixture, add more condensed soup or water.
- 21Place 6 bay leaves on top of the sauce in each dish.
- 22Cover each dish tightly with aluminum foil and bake at 300 F for 2 hours.
- 23Maintain oven heat at this temperature so that the cabbage rolls do not burn.
- 24When cooked, remove from oven and let cool for about 15 minutes.
- 25Remove foil and serve while still hot.
- 26These cabbage rolls freeze well.
- 27You may also make small or petite cabbage rolls by cutting the cabbage leaves smaller and reducing the amount of filling.
Browse Our Top Rice Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Uncle Bill's Russian Cabbage Rolls
Serving Size: 1 (306 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 354.7
- Calories from Fat 105
- Total Fat 11.7 g
- Saturated Fat 3.8 g
- Cholesterol 38.1 mg
- Sodium 639.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 46.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.3 g
- Sugars 7.4 g
- Protein 15.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: