Recipe by William (Uncle Bill) Anatooskin
I have been using this recipe for over 40 years, just like my grandmother used to make.
Top Review by ladyfingers
I wondered why Uncle Bill included "regular" in his recipe title--found out after the fact he has another peroshky dough recipe (#53862). Oh well, something else to try along with his many wonderful fruit filling ideas. Regardless, this dough was easy to work with and tastes yummy. I knew my family would gobble these right up. Didn't change a thing, other than I rolled the dough out on floured freezer paper (shiny side up). Makes clean-up pretty easy. Thanks for another super recipe and very explicit directions.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 3⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup whipping cream
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large mixing bowl, sift together 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, baking powder, salt and sugar.
- Using a pastry blender, cut in butter until crumbly.
- In another mixing bowl, combine whipping cream, sour cream and baking soda.
- Add beaten eggs and vanilla extract and blend well.
- Add whipping cream mixture in small amounts to flour mixture, alternating with the addition of the remaining 1 1/2 cups of flour, mixing well after each addition until dough is medium soft.
- Roll out dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead several times until it is not sticky to the hands.
- Add more flour if required so the dough does not stick to your hands.
- Break off pieces of dough and roll between your hands to the size of a golf ball.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough balls out to 1/8" thickness and they should be about 4" in diameter.
- Spoon about 1 1/2 tablespoons of your choice of fruit mixture (to follow) onto the center of the dough round.
- Bring edges of dough up towards the center and crimp edges to form a cup, leaving the top open.
- Add 1/2 teaspoon of sugar (if desired) into the open top.
- Place PEROSHKY on a lightly greased baking sheet.
- Bake in preheated 400 F oven for 12 to 15 minutes or until crust is light brown.
- Remove from oven and cool for about 15 minutes.
- Serve with ice cream, sour cream, melted butter or whipped cream.