1/1 Photo of Uncle Bill's Pyrahi Dough
4 hrs 30 mins
William (Uncle Bill) Anatooskin's Note:
This recipe goes back to the good old days. My grandmother taught me how to make the pyrahi when I was very young.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1In a small bowl, measure water, add yeast,1/2 teaspoon sugar and let stand for about 10 minutes or until frothy.
- 2In a large mixing bowl, add warmed milk and yeast and stir gently to incorporate.
- 3Add beaten eggs, 2 tablespoons of sugar, salt, olive oil and mix gently.
- 4Add flour, 1 cup at a time mixing well after each addition.
- 5If dough is too sticky, add a bit more flour.
- 6Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead several times until dough is smooth.
- 7Place dough in a lightly greased bowl, turn once to coat.
- 8Cover with plastic wrap and place dough in refrigerator for 4 hours or longer.
- 9When ready to use, remove from refrigerator and punch dough down.
- 10Divide dough into 24 equal pieces and roll into balls that will be the size of a golf ball.
- 11Roll dough out into rounds on a lightly floured surface to about 1/8" thickness.
- 12Place about 3 tablespoons of filling mixture of your choice in the center of each round.
- 13Fold the left and right side of the round towards the center, pinching the dough to crease.
- 14Bring the other 2 edges towards the center and pinch again to crease.
- 15Leave a space of about 1/4" slit in the center of the pyrahi.
- 16Slightly flatten the pyrahi with the palm of your hand.
- 17Place pyrahi on a lightly greased cookie sheet, cover with a damp cloth and let rise for 25 to 30 minutes.
- 18Bake in preheated 400 F oven for 25 minutes or until lightly browned.
- 19Remove from oven and brush with melted butter.
- 20Serve with melted butter and sour cream or yogurt.
- 21To re-warm the pyrahi, heat a frying pan on medium heat, add 1 tablespoon of butter, add the pyrahi, cover and fry for 1 1/2 to 2 minutes, turn over and fry for another 1 to 1 1/2 minutes.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Uncle Bill's Pyrahi Dough
Serving Size: 1 (64 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 24
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 180.4
- Calories from Fat 73
- Total Fat 8.1 g
- Saturated Fat 1.4 g
- Cholesterol 17.5 mg
- Sodium 112.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 22.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.9 g
- Sugars 2.2 g
- Protein 4.2 g