Prep 15 mins
Cook 5 mins
This filling is very popular with most people and they like the perogies with both the onion and garlic added.
- 3 large potatoes, of your choice peeled and cut into small chunks
- 3⁄4 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3⁄4 cup finely chopped onion (optional)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced (optional)
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- In a medium size saucepan, add potatoes and just cover with water.
- Bring to boil, reduce heat and cook for about 15 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Drain and mash potatoes.
- Add grated cheese and mix well.
- Cheese will melt and will be incorporated with the potatoes.
- In a frying pan, add butter, chopped onions and garlic and saute' for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add saute'ed onion/garlic to the potatoes in the saucepan and mix well.
- Add beaten eggs, salt and pepper and mix well.
- The amount of filling to use will depend on the size of Mini Form you will be using.
- If using the 4" Mini Form, use 1 heaping tablespoon of filling.
- The filling mix handles best when cooled.
This is an excellent pierogi filling. I made this today and added the sauteed onions to the mixture, using one large fat clove of garlic. It was the first time using garlic in a pierogi filling for me and I was very pleased with the results. I used the dough from Rita L's pierogi recipe(#48587) and combined with your filling recipe they turned out fantastic! Best I have ever eaten! I used Davidstow Cheddar and only one of the eggs required as I felt that the mixture would have been too damp with two. Thanks for a great recipe that I will be using from now on when I make my pierogi's!
Uncle Bill thanks for this recipe. I used to have one similar to it years ago and lost it. This is the first one Iv'e tried that I actually liked. I give this 5 stars because it is a superb recipe. I am putting this one in my "keeper" file.