Recipe by William (Uncle Bill) Anatooskin
Thought I would try and make something different, rather than a regular pizza. This pizza sandwich is easy to make and quick to cook. An excellent snack.
Top Review by Japanese Delight
I just did pepperoni and cheese and used olive oil on the bread.(A tip for using pepperoni is to lay them on paper towel and microwave for 30 seconds to get the excess oil/fat off so it's not so greasy in the pizza!) It was just awesome!!! Very easy way to satisfy a pizza craving.
- 4 slices homemade style bread
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons tomato pizza sauce
- 1⁄2 small sweet red pepper, chopped small
- 2 medium mushrooms, sliced thin
- 8 slices pepperoni, sliced thin
- 2 slices cooked deli ham
- 1⁄2 cup grated mozzarella cheese, if desired (or more)
- 1⁄2 cup pineapple tidbits, well drained
Directions See How It's Made
- Butter both sides of the sliced bread.
- Spread tomato pizza sauce on one side of each slice of bread; set 2 slices aside.
- Sprinkle chopped red pepper on only 2 slices of bread.
- Layer with sliced mushrooms, slices of pepperoni, cooked ham and grated mozzarella.
- Sprinkle with pineapple tidbits.
- Now cover the top with the 2 slices of bread and press together lightly.
- In a heavy bottomed frying pan over medium heat, grill sandwich for about 2 1/2 minutes, then turn over and continue to grill for another 2 1/2 minutes or until the cheese melts and the sandwich is golden brown.
- Slice each sandwich in half diagonally.
- Serve with sliced peppers, baby carrots, cucumber slices and your favorite dip.
- You may also use a George Foreman Grill to cook the sandwiches.
- Slices of onion and tomatoes can also be used in the sandwich.