1/2 Photos of Uncle Bill's Petite Pea Vegetable Soup
William (Uncle Bill) Anatooskin's Note:
This recipe originated with my Grandmother in 1910. Since then, I made modifications to use more veggies to enhance the flavor of the soup.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 10 cups water
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 large yukon gold potatoes, scrubbed and cut into 8 pieces (for mashing)
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 3/4 cup whipping cream
- 1 large onion, chopped small
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 4 medium size carrots, scrubbed and sliced 1/8 inch thick
- 4 large garlic cloves, chopped small
- 4 cups vegetable broth or 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 large yukon gold potatoes, scrubbed and cubed 3/8 inch
- 2 large celery ribs, cut small
- 1 cup cauliflower floret
- 3 cups frozen tiny peas
- 3 tablespoons dried dill weed or 6 tablespoons chopped fresh dill weed
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/16 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1In a large cooking pot add water, salt, 8 pieces of potatoes and bring to boil.
- 2Reduce heat to simmer and cook until potatoes are just tender.
- 3Remove potatoes to a large bowl, saving the cooking water in the pot.
- 4Add butter to the potatoes and mash.
- 5Now add whipping cream and mix well to incorporate; set aside to add later to pot.
- 6In the meantime, to a small frying pan on medium high heat, add onions and 1 tablespoon of butter and saute for about 5 minutes; DO NOT BURN.
- 7When onions are done, add to the cooking pot.
- 8Add sliced carrots, garlic, broth, diced potatoes and cook until potatoes are not quite tender, about 6 minutes.
- 9Now add celery, cauliflower florets, petite peas, dried dill weed, black pepper and cayenne pepper and simmer for about 6 minutes or until cubed potatoes are just tender.
- 10Add reserved mashed potato mixture, stir well and bring to boil.
- 11Reduce heat to simmer and cook for 3 minutes.
- 12Adjust seasonings to taste.
- 13You may also puree all or part of the soup, depending on how you prefer the soup.
- 14Serve soup hot.
- 15Refrigerate any unused portion of soup.
- 16NOTE: If desired, add about 4 ounces of snow peas or sugar peas.
- 17Remove strings from pea pods and discard.
- 18Cut pea pods into small pieces and add to soup when adding the petitie peas.
Browse Our Top Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Uncle Bill's Petite Pea Vegetable Soup
Serving Size: 1 (293 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 16
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 159.9
- Calories from Fat 75
- Total Fat 8.4 g
- Saturated Fat 5.0 g
- Cholesterol 25.4 mg
- Sodium 723.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 18.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.8 g
- Sugars 3.9 g
- Protein 3.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: