Recipe by William (Uncle Bill) Anatooskin
My DW and I have been experimenting to make an open face sandwich that is real yummy with a bowl of soup. This sandwich is totally vegetarian, but can be made with other items of your choice.
Top Review by COOKGIRl
Bialys replaced hoagies, sun-dried toms for red bell [out of bells)' Nancy's plain cream cheese, red leaf lettuce for iceberg and homemade Italian dressing. Perfect for the warm months as it requires no heating. We added a few fresh basil ribbons to our sandwiches. Thanks for posting. Added to our sandwich rotation.
- 1 hoagie roll, with sesame seed
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 4 tablespoons cream cheese (Philadelphia Roasted Red Pepper, suggested)
- 1⁄2 cup finely shredded iceberg lettuce
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped red onions
- 4 tablespoons finely chopped sweet red peppers
- 1⁄4 cup sliced small pitted black olives
- italian herb salad dressing
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut Hoagie bun in half lengthwise and toast lightly.
- Spread butter evenly on each half bun.
- Spread cream cheese evenly on each half.
- Spread lettuce evenly on each half.
- Spread chopped onions evenly on each half.
- Spread sweet red pepper evenly on each half.
- Spread sliced olives evenly on each half.
- Now drizzle with Italian herb dressing to your taste.
- Sprinkle salt and pepper to your taste.
- If desired, you may also layer some thinly sliced black forest ham.
- Also some shredded carrot makes for a very nice taste.
- This recipe doubles or quadruples very easily.