Prep 14 hrs
Cook 18 mins
This recipe has been a family favorite for many years. I made some changes to the original family recipe to enhance the flavor of the finished product.
- 6 large cucumbers (fewer seeds the better)
- 3 large sweet red peppers, seeded and diced
- 3 large green peppers, seeded and diced
- 3 tablespoons pickling salt or 3 tablespoons coarse salt
- 2 cups cauliflower florets
- 1 large onion, minced
- 3 stalks celery, chopped fine
- 4 cups white vinegar
- 4 cups granulated sugar
- 5 tablespoons dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄2 cup cold water
- Wash and finely chop cucumbers.
- Seed and dice sweet red and green peppers.
- Place chopped cucumbers and peppers in a large bowl.
- Sprinkle over with pickling salt, cover and let sit overnight.
- The next morning, drain off the liquid and discard.
- Finely chop cauliflower, onion and celery and mix in with the cucumbers and peppers.
- Transfer vegetables to a large cooking pot.
- Add vinegar and sugar and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes until vegetables are just tender, DO NOT OVERCOOK.
- In a small bowl, mix mustard and turmeric in a half cup of cold water.
- When vegetables are nearly done, mix in mustard mixture and stir until well blended and bring mixture back to just boil.
- Sterilize and prepare canning jars of your choice.
- Fill jars to within 1/4" of the top of the jars.
- Apply lids and screw tops and process according to the method you are most familiar with.
- When jars are sealed and cooled, label and store in a cool, dark place.
Loved these. Made several jars to give our dinner guests and they say they're saving them and trying not to eat the whole jar in one sitting. Going to do it again for Christmas dinner guests! ( I dont "can" them so it's super easy.
I made a batch of this pickle last fall and forgot to submit a review! I used cucumber, red peppers, cauliflower, green beans and onions. I added some mustard seeds to the sauce. A very nice sweet, tart, crunchy mustard pickle.
Excellent. Thank you for sharing your family recipe which I made this week. Have added it to my canning collection.Great combination of vinegar/sugar, with the mustard and spices right on! Five stars for sure!