1/15 Photos of Uncle Bill's Method for Cooking Turkey
5 hrs 30 mins
William (Uncle Bill) Anatooskin's Note:
Scalding the turkey makes for a very nice moist turkey. I have been doing this method for over 25 years. Cooking time shown in the method is for a 16 pound stuffed turkey.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Turkey must be thoroughly thawed before preparing for the oven unless you are using a fresh turkey.
- 2Remove turkey parts from cavities and use as you desire.
- 3Wash cavities well with cold water.
- 4Boil a kettle of hot water (scalding hot.).
- 5Place turkey in a clean sink or a large roasting pan.
- 6Pour hot water over the entire turkey including in the cavities.
- 7The skin will shrink tightly to the turkey.
- 8"This will help hold the natural juices in the turkey while it is cooking. Do not peel skin back to layer herbs under the skin. This will destroy the process for a moist turkey.
- 9"Pat dry both inside and outside of turkey.
- 10Preheat oven to 400°F.
- 11Sprinkle cavities with salt and black pepper and granulated garlic powder.
- 12If you are stuffing the bird, then line inside of cavity with cheesecloth, then stuff with your favorite dressing,"stuff loosely",.
- 13Tie legs and wings with a good meat wrapping twine and leave a lifting loop to remove the turkey from the pan when cooked.
- 14Place a wire rack in the bottom of roasting pan.
- 15Place the turkey on the wire rack, breast side up.
- 16Pour 2 cups of water or 2 cups of chicken broth into the pan.
- 17Pour about 1/2 cup or more if required of extra virgin olive oil over the exterior of the turkey.
- 18Cover the turkey with heavy aluminum foil, but do not let the foil touch the turkey as it will stick to the turkey while cooking.
- 19Pinch foil tight to the sides of the pan.
- 20Place turkey on lower rack in oven and cook for 1 hour.
- 21Reduce heat to 325 F and cook for 2 1/2 hours.
- 22Now turn heat up to 350 F and cook for another 1/2 hour.
- 23Remove foil from turkey. At this time test for doneness by inserting an instant read thermometer into the breast to see how the cooking temperature is. We are cooking towards a reading of 175°F.
- 24Baste,the turkey and continue cooking, uncovered, for an additional 1 hour at 350 F, basting about every 15 minutes so that the turkey turns a nice brown color.
- 25When the time for cooking is finished, test for doneness. Insert the instant read thermometer into the thickest portion of the turkey breast, reading should be 175 F and no more. .
- 26Remove from oven, lift turkey out the roasting pan using the string loops.
- 27Cover with foil and let the turkey rest for about 1/2 hour before carving.
- 28Total time for cooking a 16 pound stuffed turkey is 5 hours.
- 29There is no need to baste the turkey until the last 1 hour of cooking, this saves you a lot of time as you do not have to remove the foil tent during the first 4 hours.
- 30For a crispy browner skin, you may wish to consider rubbing butter over the entire bird after pouring olive oil. This works very nicely.
- 31COOKING TIMES: Left Side -Stuffed---- Right Side - Unstuffed.
- 334 - 4 1/2 hours-- 3 1/2 - 3 3/4 hours.
- 354 1/2 - 5 hours-- 3 3/4 - 4 hours.
- 375- 5 1/2 hours-- 3 3/4 - 4 1/4 hours.
- 395 1/2 - 6 hours-- 4 1/4 - 4 1/2 hours.
- 416 - 6 1/4 hours-- 4 1/2 - 5 hours.
- 436 1/4- 6 1/2 hours-- 5 - 5 1/4 hours.
- 44NOTE: Test for doneness by inserting a meat thermometer in the thickest part of the breast, reading should be 175 F and in the thickest part of the leg or thigh, reading should be 180°F.
Browse Our Top Whole Turkey Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Whole Turkey Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Uncle Bill's Method for Cooking Turkey
Serving Size: 1 (301 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 14
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 675.2
- Calories from Fat 343
- Total Fat 38.1 g
- Saturated Fat 9.6 g
- Cholesterol 258.0 mg
- Sodium 246.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 0.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
- Sugars 0.0 g
- Protein 77.4 g