Recipe by William (Uncle Bill) Anatooskin
The chickpeas add another great texture to the meat loaf. I find that using both types of ground beef adds moisture to the meat loaf.
Top Review by minmin-mika
Excellent Meat Loaf With Chickpeas!! I like chickpeas very much. Nicely seasoned, delicious!! Because it was hard for a daughter to be hot, I omitted chili sauce of the last source and did it in ketchup and grain mustard. I was able to largely shorten it at time by baking it small. These were super yummy! Thanks for posting.
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 large garlic cloves, chopped
- 226.79 g lean ground beef
- 226.79 g ground beef
- 473.18 ml canned chick-peas, drained and finely chopped
- 177.44 ml dried regular breadcrumbs
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 118.29 ml chili sauce
- 29.58 ml Dijon mustard
- 9.85 ml Worcestershire sauce
- 4.92 ml hot red pepper sauce or 4.92 ml Tabasco sauce
- 4.92 ml ground cumin
- 2.46 ml salt
- 2.46 ml black pepper
- 44.37 ml chopped parsley (fresh)
- 59.14 ml diced green pepper
- 59.14 ml diced sweet red pepper
- 29.58 ml chili sauce
- 14.79 ml Dijon mustard
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a food processor, puree' onion and garlic.
- In a large bowl, combine onion/garlic puree', both ground beef, chickpeas, breadcrumbs, beaten egg, chili sauce, Dijon mustard, Worcestershire sauce, hot pepper sauce, cumin, salt, pepper and parsley; mix well to blend.
- Transfer mixture to a lightly oiled 9" x 5" loaf pan, press mixture firmly down and smooth the top.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake in preheated 350 F oven for 45 minutes or until tested with a thermometer inserted into the center of the loaf; shoud read at least 160 - 165°F.
- In the meantime, prepare the topping in a small bowl, combine chili sauce and Dijon mustard.
- Remove loaf from oven and drain any fat that may have accumulated.
- Spread the chili sauce/Dijon mixture over the loaf.
- Immediately return meat loaf to oven and bake uncovered for another 30 minutes at 350°F.
- Remove from oven and let rest for about 15 minutes before slicing.
- This meat loaf is excellent eaten cold in a sandwich.