1/1 Photo of Uncle Bill's Meat Loaf With Chickpeas
1 hr 35 mins
1 hr 15 mins
William (Uncle Bill) Anatooskin's Note:
The chickpeas add another great texture to the meat loaf. I find that using both types of ground beef adds moisture to the meat loaf.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 large garlic cloves, chopped
- 1/2 lb lean ground beef
- 1/2 lb ground beef
- 2 cups canned chick-peas, drained and finely chopped
- 3/4 cup dried regular breadcrumbs
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1/2 cup chili sauce
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon hot red pepper sauce or 1 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 tablespoons chopped parsley (fresh)
- 1/4 cup diced green pepper
- 1/4 cup diced sweet red pepper
- 2 tablespoons chili sauce
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1Preheat oven to 350°F.
- 2In a food processor, puree' onion and garlic.
- 3In a large bowl, combine onion/garlic puree', both ground beef, chickpeas, breadcrumbs, beaten egg, chili sauce, Dijon mustard, Worcestershire sauce, hot pepper sauce, cumin, salt, pepper and parsley; mix well to blend.
- 4Transfer mixture to a lightly oiled 9" x 5" loaf pan, press mixture firmly down and smooth the top.
- 5Cover with aluminum foil and bake in preheated 350 F oven for 45 minutes or until tested with a thermometer inserted into the center of the loaf; shoud read at least 160 - 165°F.
- 6In the meantime, prepare the topping in a small bowl, combine chili sauce and Dijon mustard.
- 7Remove loaf from oven and drain any fat that may have accumulated.
- 8Spread the chili sauce/Dijon mixture over the loaf.
- 9Immediately return meat loaf to oven and bake uncovered for another 30 minutes at 350°F.
- 10Remove from oven and let rest for about 15 minutes before slicing.
- 11This meat loaf is excellent eaten cold in a sandwich.
Browse Our Top Meatloaf Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Uncle Bill's Meat Loaf With Chickpeas
Serving Size: 1 (257 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 363.5
- Calories from Fat 111
- Total Fat 12.4 g
- Saturated Fat 4.3 g
- Cholesterol 81.2 mg
- Sodium 1086.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 38.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.9 g
- Sugars 5.6 g
- Protein 23.1 g