Recipe by William (Uncle Bill) Anatooskin
This is one of our favorite Mac & Cheese dishes. The tomatoes and onions just give it that added nice flavor. Easy to prepare.
Top Review by Bev I Am
Uncle Bill, this mac and cheese is so rich and creamy, and oh so very flavorful! When I discovered this dish served with tomatoes, I knew I would just have to try it! My mother always served our macaroni and cheese with tomatoes and it has been years since I have eaten it this way. I enjoyed it so much! The amount of cheese is just right and the flavors blend to perfection! I used a thinly sliced green onion to top the tomatoes. Excellent recipe, Uncle Bill! Thank you so much for sharing it with us!
- 3 cups elbow macaroni
- 8 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups whole milk, homogenized
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Tabasco sauce or 1⁄2 teaspoon red hot sauce
- 2 1⁄2 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 tablespoon butter, for rubbing inside of casserole dish
- 1⁄2 cup grated swiss cheese
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese or 1⁄2 cup padano cheese
- 28 fluid ounces Italian plum tomatoes, crushed (divided)
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped onion
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook elbow macaroni according to package instructions, al dente', about 15 minutes; drain well and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, melt 4 tablespoons of butter.
- Stir in flour to form a paste; DO NOT LET IT BURN OR GO LUMPY.
- Slowly whisk in milk and bring to a simmer, stirring constantly until sauce begins to thicken.
- Add salt, pepper and Tabasco or Red Hot Sauce.
- Remove from heat and stir in 1 cup of grated sharp cheddar cheese, stirring until blended.
- Butter a 9" x 9" ovenproof casserole dish.
- In a bowl, mix together elbow macaroni, cheese sauce and half of the tomatoes with juice.
- Transfer macaroni to the prepared casserole dish.
- Sprinkle top with remaining 1 1/2 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese, Swiss cheese and Parmesan cheese.
- Add remaining 4 tablespoons of butter in dollops on top.
- Bake uncovered in preheated 350 F oven for 30 minutes or until bubbly and golden.
- Serve with the reamining crushed tomatoes and a sprinkle of chopped onions or chopped green onions.