1/1 Photo of Uncle Bill's Macaroni With 3 Cheese
William (Uncle Bill) Anatooskin's Note:
This is one of our favorite Mac & Cheese dishes. The tomatoes and onions just give it that added nice flavor. Easy to prepare.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 cups elbow macaroni
- 8 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups whole milk, homogenized
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon Tabasco sauce or 1/2 teaspoon red hot sauce
- 2 1/2 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 tablespoon butter, for rubbing inside of casserole dish
- 1/2 cup grated swiss cheese
- 1/2 cup grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese or 1/2 cup padano cheese
- 28 fluid ounces Italian plum tomatoes, crushed (divided)
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1Cook elbow macaroni according to package instructions, al dente', about 15 minutes; drain well and set aside.
- 2Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- 3In a saucepan over medium heat, melt 4 tablespoons of butter.
- 4Stir in flour to form a paste; DO NOT LET IT BURN OR GO LUMPY.
- 5Slowly whisk in milk and bring to a simmer, stirring constantly until sauce begins to thicken.
- 6Add salt, pepper and Tabasco or Red Hot Sauce.
- 7Remove from heat and stir in 1 cup of grated sharp cheddar cheese, stirring until blended.
- 8Butter a 9" x 9" ovenproof casserole dish.
- 9In a bowl, mix together elbow macaroni, cheese sauce and half of the tomatoes with juice.
- 10Transfer macaroni to the prepared casserole dish.
- 11Sprinkle top with remaining 1 1/2 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese, Swiss cheese and Parmesan cheese.
- 12Add remaining 4 tablespoons of butter in dollops on top.
- 13Bake uncovered in preheated 350 F oven for 30 minutes or until bubbly and golden.
- 14Serve with the reamining crushed tomatoes and a sprinkle of chopped onions or chopped green onions.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Uncle Bill's Macaroni With 3 Cheese
Serving Size: 1 (510 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1037.2
- Calories from Fat 552
- Total Fat 61.3 g
- Saturated Fat 38.0 g
- Cholesterol 174.6 mg
- Sodium 1173.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 80.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.9 g
- Sugars 13.3 g
- Protein 41.8 g