Recipe by William (Uncle Bill) Anatooskin
This recipe has been in my family for many years and is always enjoyed by anyone who had then opportunity to taste it.
Top Review by Shawnee TX
Delicious! I used leftover rib roast from New Year's dinner, so I did everything else first, then added the meat in at the end just to heat through. The only other change I made was I added a little bit of sour cream to get a bit more of that "tang" that I expect from stroganoff. But the whole family enjoyed it.
- 2 lbs beef tenderloin
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄3 cup butter
- 2 medium onions, sliced thin
- 2 teaspoons dry mustard
- 1⁄2 lb small fresh mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 16 fluid ounces beef broth
- 3 fluid ounces vodka
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup heavy whipping cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut beef tenderloin into 1/2 inch cubes and add to a medium size mixing bowl.
- In a small mixing bowl, mix together olive oil, salt and black pepper.
- Pour mixture over cubed tenderloin and mix well to coat.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 2 hours to marinate.
- In a medium size frying pan on medium-high heat, melt butter, add onions and saute' for 5 minutes.
- Add marinated meat mixture and saute' an additional 5 minutes, stirring often.
- Add dry mustard, mushrooms, tomato paste and cook 10 minutes longer on medium high heat, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in beef broth and vodka and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- In a small bowl, whisk together water and flour until smooth.
- Prime rib meat also makes a good Stoganoff.
- Add flour mixture slowly to frying pan, stirring constantly until mixture thickens.
- Just before serving, stir in whipping cream until well blended.
- Serve over cooked rice or noodles of your choice.