Prep 20 mins
Cook 6 mins
I started to develop a recipe for jumbo prawns in 1996 and finally succeeded in a very tasty recipe. These jumbo prawns are not difficult to prepare and will satisfy your desire for an enjoyable meal. I cooked these prawns (shrimp) for a Seafood Dinner for 12 couples in the year 2000, and their comment was that they had never tasted prawns that were so well prepared and tasted so good. Because of their size and cost, one does not want to spoil a tasty prawn. Chilling time for the prawns in the refrigerator is not included in the preparation time.
- 4 jumbo tiger shrimp (4 - 6 ounces each)
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons whole milk, homogenized
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 3⁄4 cup panko breadcrumbs or 3⁄4 cup crushed soda cracker
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried dill weed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon seasoning salt or 1⁄2 teaspoon coarse sea salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon granulated garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon beau monde seasoning (optional)
- 2 cups canola oil (for deep frying)
- 1 large lemon, cut into wedges
- 1⁄4 cup tartar sauce, if desired
- Peel off shell, devein prawns and rinse in cold water. Pat dry with paper towels.
- Cut slit in each prawn about 1/4 inch deep.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together eggs and milk until frothy.
- In a plastic bag, add flour and pepper and shake well to blend.
- In a separate plastic bag, add Panko crumbs, dried dill weed, seasoning salt, garlic powder and Beau Monde seasoning, shake well to combine.
- Dip prepared prawns individually into the egg mixture to coat well.
- Drop each prawn into the flour mixture and shake to coat well.
- Dip the prawns again in the egg mixture, turn to coat well.
- Drop each prawn into the Panko crumb mixture and shake until well coated.
- Place coated prawns on a plate, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for about 2 hours to chill.
- In a medium size saucepan, or a deep frying pan, or a WOK, add oil and heat to 350°F.
- Carefully drop the prawns two at a time into the hot oil and deep fry for about 1 1/2 minutes, turn over and continue to fry for an additional 1 to 1 1/2 minutes, and the prawns are a light golden brown. (Do not overcook prawns.).
- Serve immediately with lemon wedges and tartar sauce or a sauce of your choice.
- Also, see Chicken Strips with Sweet and Sour Sauce for the sauce, recipe #19266.