Prep 4 mins
Cook 0 mins
I have been making this Rum Toddy for many years. This is good on cold days, a cold or a sore throat. I am not suggesting it is a cure, but it is tasty.
- 3 ounces dark rum (or to suit taste)
- 4 tablespoons liquid honey
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄2 piece lemon rind
- 1⁄16 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 -4 inch cinnamon stick (whole)
- 6 -8 ounces boiling water
- To a large heavy duty cup or glass, add rum, honey, lemon juice, 1/2 lemon rind, and nutmeg. Stand cinnamon stick in the cup.
- Pour the boiling water and stir well to blend.
- Adjust honey to suit your sweetness and adjust lemon juice to suit your taste.
- Sip slowly and enjoy.
I've tried several hot toddy recipes over the past two decades (yes, I am over 38). Had an uncomfortable chest cold with aggravating 'cough' which Robitussin TM seemed to barely manage.
Was wallowing in self-pity watching some pointless program when I had an inspiration. "What inspiration?" you may ask...
I googled "Hot Rum Toddy" as I was in Cuba earlier this year and was not in mood for a 'Cuba Libre'. Found Uncle Bill's Hot rum toddy concoction. Although I had no nutmeg, I did have the fresh lemon, great Canadian organic honey, of course the essential CUBAN dark rum, and whatever else his recipe prescribed.
One drink later, feeling fine and gotta' admit, I lessened the honey amount (too sweet for me, used teasppons) and on a scale of 1-5, this is easily a 4.5
Why so high? If it wasn't good I wouldn't have taken the time to post this comment!
THANKS UNCLE BILL, you ROCK!!!
(Qiviuq leaves post to make round #2...)
I have tried several hot rum recipes, and didn't like any of them. I thought at first I wouldn't like this one, but after playing around with the honey and lemon, it turned out really good! thanks for the recipe.
This was excellent!! I didn't have rum on hand, so I substituted with crown royal maple whiskey.. and it was delicious!!! My hubby had to crawl to bed after this one and didn't seem to notice his flu anymore..hahaha :)