Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I found it difficult to find Panko Bread Crumbs and decided to make my own. The bread crumbs turned out very similar to the store bought Japanese Panko. This recipe is easy to make and has all the tastes for a coarse bread crumb.
- Preheat oven to 300°F.
- Cut the bread into pieces that will go through the tube on a food processor.
- Using the food processor with a shredding disk, push the bread pieces through the tube to make coarse bread crumbs.
- Transfer the crumbs to a large mixing bowl.
- Sprinkle with seasoning salt, granulated garlic powder and Beau Monde seasoning; toss well to coat.
- Transfer the coated bread crumbs to parchment lined baking sheets and spread to thin layers.
- Bake in preheated 300 F oven for 6 minutes or until bread crumbs are dry, but not toasted, Stir the bread crumbs at least once during baking time. Do not let crumbs brown, they should still be just off white in color.
- Turn oven off, open the oven door for about 10 minutes to cool slightly and leave the bread crumbs in the oven to further dry for at least 1/2 hour.
- Remove from oven and let cool completely.
- Store the crumbs in a container with lid or you may freeze them in zip-lok bags or vacuum seal bags. They will last for several months.
- Do not forget to label and date the containers.
- Use these crumbs on recipes that call for bread crumbs.