Recipe by William (Uncle Bill) Anatooskin
I first had the occasion to have HEARTS OF PALM in Fiji after a very serious hurricane that destroyed many Coconut Trees. This was a new adventure for us and I fell in love with the hearts. So, I developed my own recipe to what I thought would do justice to the HEARTS OF PALM.
- 1 lb fresh asparagus
- 3 cups water
- 1 (28 fluid ounce) can hearts of palm, well drained
- 1 (10 fluid ounce) can coconut milk (good quality)
- 1 medium hot red pepper, seeded
- 6 large lettuce leaves, of your choice
- 1⁄4 cup pimiento
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh parsley
- 2 teaspoons italian seasoning mix
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
- 3⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Break tough ends off asparagus and discard.
- In a medium size saucepan, measure 3 cups of water.
- Add asparagus; bring to boil and cook for 7 minutes.
- When done, drain and immediately plunge asparagus in cold water; let cool, then drain well and set aside.
- Drain and rinse hearts of palm.
- Cut into 1/2 slices or pieces and add to a bowl.
- Add coconut milk and mix to coat.
- Add hot peppers to the bowl and let marinate for about 1/2 hour, stirring once.
- On a large elongated plate, cover bottom of plate with lettuce leaves.
- Place asparagus with florets at each end of plate and stems meeting in the center of the plate.
- Remove hearts of palm from marinate into a bowl.
- Layer hearts of palm across the center of asparagus, about 3 inches wide, leaving the remainder of asparagus exposed.
- Sprinkle the top of hearts of palm with pimiento.
- DRESSING In a blender or food processor, add lemon juice, red wine vinegar, parsley, Italian herb seasoning, salt, sugar, black pepper; pulsate and blend well.
- On low speed, add olive oil slowly in a steady stream to blend.
- Pour dressing over the entire salad; place in refrigerator and let marinate for 2 hours.
- Serve HEARTS OF PALM SALAD chilled.
- Use fresh Hearts of Palm if available.
- You do not have to cook them.
- Cut and marinate for at least 2 hours in the coconut/hot pepper mixture.
- Marinating time is extra time and not included in cooking time.