1/5 Photos of Uncle Bill's French Mushroom Soup
William (Uncle Bill) Anatooskin's Note:
The original recipe appeared on Mushrooms Canada website. I made some changes to enhance the soup. This is easy to make and has a very pleasant mushroom flavor.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 283.49 g fresh button mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 170.09 g fresh cremini mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 59.14 ml butter
- 78.07 ml all-purpose flour
- 946.36 ml chicken broth
- 709.77 ml water
- 44.37 ml chicken soup base or 3 chicken bouillon cubes
- 2.46 ml dried thyme leaves
- 1 large bay leaf
- 59.14 ml scallion, finely chopped
- 2 large egg yolks
- 118.29 ml whipping cream, 35%
- 2.46 ml white pepper
- 59.16 ml minced fresh parsley (to garnish)
- 1Rinse both mushrooms in cold water and immediately pat dry with paper towels.
- 2Cut mushrooms into quarters and then slice thinly, 1/8 inch thick.
- 3In a large heavy bottom soup pot, melt butter on medium heat.
- 4Add mushrooms and saute for 5 to 6 minutes or until liquid from the mushrooms has mostly evaporated.
- 5Sprinkle flour over mushrooms and cook for 1 minute, stirring often.
- 6Gradually stir in chicken broth, water and chicken soup base and bring to boil, about 5 minutes, stirring often so the bottom does not burn.
- 7Add thyme, bay leaf and green onions.
- 8Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- 9Remove bay leaf and discard.
- 10In a mixing bowl, whisk together egg yolks and whipping cream.
- 11Slowly add 1 cup of hot broth mixture from the soup pot to the egg/cream mixture, whisking constantly until incorporated. This prevents the egg yolks from cooking.
- 12Return mixture to the soup pot, adding slowly and whisking all the time while adding.
- 13Heat over low heat until hot, about 5 minutes.
- 14Add white pepper to taste.
- 15Serve soup sprinkled with minced parsley.
Browse Our Top Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Uncle Bill's French Mushroom Soup
Serving Size: 1 (309 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 169.9
- Calories from Fat 119
- Total Fat 13.3 g
- Saturated Fat 7.7 g
- Cholesterol 81.7 mg
- Sodium 456.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 7.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.8 g
- Sugars 1.5 g
- Protein 5.9 g