Recipe by William (Uncle Bill) Anatooskin
The original recipe appeared on Mushrooms Canada website. I made some changes to enhance the soup. This is easy to make and has a very pleasant mushroom flavor.
Top Review by 7Seven
Very good soup. I used Swiss Brown Mushrooms as it's the only thing I have (roughly chopped), scaled the recipe down to 4servings and followed everything else. The one and only changes that I made was I added 1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder in it. Thank you very much, Uncle Bill! :-)
- 10 ounces fresh button mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 6 ounces fresh cremini mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 3 cups water
- 3 tablespoons chicken soup base or 3 chicken bouillon cubes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1 large bay leaf
- 1⁄4 cup scallion, finely chopped
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1⁄2 cup whipping cream, 35%
- 1⁄2 teaspoon white pepper
- 4 tablespoons minced fresh parsley (to garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- Rinse both mushrooms in cold water and immediately pat dry with paper towels.
- Cut mushrooms into quarters and then slice thinly, 1/8 inch thick.
- In a large heavy bottom soup pot, melt butter on medium heat.
- Add mushrooms and saute for 5 to 6 minutes or until liquid from the mushrooms has mostly evaporated.
- Sprinkle flour over mushrooms and cook for 1 minute, stirring often.
- Gradually stir in chicken broth, water and chicken soup base and bring to boil, about 5 minutes, stirring often so the bottom does not burn.
- Add thyme, bay leaf and green onions.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Remove bay leaf and discard.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together egg yolks and whipping cream.
- Slowly add 1 cup of hot broth mixture from the soup pot to the egg/cream mixture, whisking constantly until incorporated. This prevents the egg yolks from cooking.
- Return mixture to the soup pot, adding slowly and whisking all the time while adding.
- Heat over low heat until hot, about 5 minutes.
- Add white pepper to taste.
- Serve soup sprinkled with minced parsley.