Recipe by William (Uncle Bill) Anatooskin
This special coating of mine gives the oysters a delighful taste. These oysters have been accepted by those who would not eat oysters at all.
Top Review by BeachGirl
These were delicious - crispy and light when fried. The double breading on these oysters adhered well during the drying process. The amount of egg and flour was just right for the amount of oysters. I used panko (Japanese) bread crumbs in place of soda crackers. I omitted dill weed as we don't prefer it and omitted beau monde seasoning because we didn't have any. Not included in recipe - For the first-time cook, it would have been helpful to know that the hot cooking oil should be about 375 Degrees Fahrenheit.
- 16 ounces fresh oysters
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons whole milk, homogenized
- 3⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup crushed salted soda cracker
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried dill weed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon granulated garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon beau monde seasoning
- 2 cups vegetable oil (for deep frying)
- 1 large lemon, cut into wedges
- tartar sauce
Directions See How It's Made
- Rinse oysters under cold water and then pat dry with paper towelling; set aside.
- In a medium size bowl, whisk eggs and milk together until fluffy.
- In a clear plastic bag, add flour and pepper and shake well.
- In a separate clear plastic bag, add cracker crumbs, dill weed, seasoning salt, garlic powder and Beau Monde seasoning and shake well to mix.
- Dip oysters into egg mixture (2 at a time) to coat well.
- Then drop them into the flour and shake well to coat with flour.
- Remove from flour and dip again into the egg mixture.
- Now drop the oysters into the crumb mixture and shake until well coated.
- Prepare the remaining oysters in the same manner.
- Heat vegetable oil in a frying pan or a deep fryer to medium-high heat; 375°F.
- Carefully drop coated oysters into the hot oil and deep fry for about 2 minutes until light golden brown; turning once.
- Serve immediately with lemon and Tartar Sauce.