I have tried so many different recipes for Onion Rings and many were very good. However, I was looking for a real tasty, crispier Onion Ring and finally found this recipe posted by BlogChef. I made some modifications and this is my crispy, crunchy recipe.
- 2 cups canola oil, if required (for deep frying, or more)
- 1 large vidalia onions or 1 large regular onion, sliced into 1/4 inch slices and separated into individual rings
- 1 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 cup whole milk, homogenized
- 1 1⁄4 cups panko breadcrumbs (more if required)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon seasoning salt, for sprinkle
- In a deep 8 inch saucepan or a small deep fryer, add the oil and heat to 365°F.
- Slice onions into 1/4 inch thick slices (across the onion) and separate into individual rings; set aside.
- In a large bowl, sift together flour, baking powder and seasoning salt.
- Dredge all the onion rings in the flour mixture until well coated; set aside.
- In another bowl, whisk the egg and milk and add to the remaining flour mixture that was used for dredging the onion rings. Whisk, until a creamy batter is formed; not too thick. If too thick, add some milk to thin.
- Place a wire rack on a sheet of aluminum foil to catch drippings.
- Dip the flour coated onion rings in the batter to coat well.
- Using a fork, remove and place the coated onion rings on the wire rack and let the excess batter drip off, about 1 minute.
- In another mixing bowl, add the Panko bread crumbs.
- Roll the onion rings in the bread crumbs until thoroughly coated and place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Deep fry the onion rings in batches of 4 to 6 for 1 minute, turn over and continue to deep fry for another 30 seconds to 1 minute or until golden in color. Do not overcook.
- Remove to paper towels to drain and season with seasoning salt.
- When serving, spinkle with Malt vinegar and some ketchup on the side for dipping.
- You can use regular or seasoned bread crumbs if Panko is not available.