1/1 Photo of Uncle Bill's Deep Fried Onion Rings in Batter and Panko Crumbs
William (Uncle Bill) Anatooskin's Note:
I have tried so many different recipes for Onion Rings and many were very good. However, I was looking for a real tasty, crispier Onion Ring and finally found this recipe posted by BlogChef. I made some modifications and this is my crispy, crunchy recipe.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups canola oil, if required (for deep frying, or more)
- 1 large vidalia onions or 1 large regular onion, sliced into 1/4 inch slices and separated into individual rings
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 cup whole milk, homogenized
- 1 1/4 cups panko breadcrumbs (more if required)
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoning salt, for sprinkle
- 1In a deep 8 inch saucepan or a small deep fryer, add the oil and heat to 365°F.
- 2Slice onions into 1/4 inch thick slices (across the onion) and separate into individual rings; set aside.
- 3In a large bowl, sift together flour, baking powder and seasoning salt.
- 4Dredge all the onion rings in the flour mixture until well coated; set aside.
- 5In another bowl, whisk the egg and milk and add to the remaining flour mixture that was used for dredging the onion rings. Whisk, until a creamy batter is formed; not too thick. If too thick, add some milk to thin.
- 6Place a wire rack on a sheet of aluminum foil to catch drippings.
- 7Dip the flour coated onion rings in the batter to coat well.
- 8Using a fork, remove and place the coated onion rings on the wire rack and let the excess batter drip off, about 1 minute.
- 9In another mixing bowl, add the Panko bread crumbs.
- 10Roll the onion rings in the bread crumbs until thoroughly coated and place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- 11Deep fry the onion rings in batches of 4 to 6 for 1 minute, turn over and continue to deep fry for another 30 seconds to 1 minute or until golden in color. Do not overcook.
- 12Remove to paper towels to drain and season with seasoning salt.
- 13When serving, spinkle with Malt vinegar and some ketchup on the side for dipping.
- 14You can use regular or seasoned bread crumbs if Panko is not available.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Uncle Bill's Deep Fried Onion Rings in Batter and Panko Crumbs
Serving Size: 1 (294 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 2619.7
- Calories from Fat 2058
- Total Fat 228.7 g
- Saturated Fat 20.0 g
- Cholesterol 105.2 mg
- Sodium 813.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 121.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.4 g
- Sugars 13.8 g
- Protein 24.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: