Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
You may also make this recipe with regular or fat-free half and half. A very nice smooth and tasty soup.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 4 large garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 6 large sun-dried tomatoes packed in oil, chopped small
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon white pepper
- In a large saucepan, heat olive oil and butter over medium-high heat.
- Add onion and saute' until translucent, about 2 minutes, stirring often.
- Add garlic and thyme and saute' for 2 minutes.
- Add crushed tomatoes, sun-dried tomatoes and balsamic vinegar.
- Bring to simmer, about 3 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Reduce to low and stir in baking soda.
- Add half and half, stir well and bring to a simmer. DO NOT BOIL.
- Use an immersion blender to puree' soup in the saucepan or puree' soup in batches in a food processor or blender.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve hot.