Recipe by ReeLani
This soup is one my Uncle Bill used to make, and it's so very tasty. I can eat several servings of this at a time!
Top Review by Kim127
I thought this was good. It was a little too thick for my taste so I would add extra broth next time. I did pass this along to a vegetarian friend who really liked it using vegetable stock (she still uses dairy).
- 3 cups fresh sliced mushrooms
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1⁄3 cup butter or 1⁄3 cup margarine
- 1⁄3 cup flour
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups milk (including 1/2 cup evaporated milk to make up the 2 cups)
- 1⁄2 cup quick-cooking barley
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon dry parsley flakes
- 1 dash pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Sauté mushrooms, onion and green pepper in butter or margarine.
- Blend in flour and continue cooking over medium heat until flour is browned.
- Gradually add broth and milk.
- Stir until thickened.
- Add barley, Worcestershire sauce, salt, parsley and pepper.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring frequently.
- Reduce heat, cover, and simmer 10-12 minutes or until barley is tender, stirring occasionally.