Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is an easy apple dessert that has an aroma of spices and a crunchy topping.
- 8 cups tart apples, peeled, cored and sliced (Granny Smith apples are suggested)
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg, freshly grated
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups quick-cooking rolled oats
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 3⁄4 cup pecans, crushed
- 1⁄2 cup dried cranberries or 1⁄2 cup cherries
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 1⁄4 cups butter, cut into small squares
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- TO MAKE FILLING.
- In a large mixing bowl, add sliced apples, lemon zest, lemon juice, vanilla extract, nutmeg and mix well to combine.
- TO MAKE TOPPING.
- In a separate bowl, mix together flour, oats, granulated sugar, brown sugar, pecans, cranberries, salt and cinnamon; mix well to combine.
- Using a pastry cutter, cut in butter until mixture forms coarse crumbs.
- In a 9" x 13" oven-proof casserole dish, spread the apple mixture over the bottom.
- Spread the topping mixture over the top of the apples.
- Bake in preheated 350 F oven for 40 minutes or until apples are tender and the topping is golden.
- Serve with ice cream, whipping cream or whipped cream or topping.
Good stuff, but holy cow -- what a lot of butter. Next time I'll leave out the dried cherries. I always love them, but they sort of clashed, texture-wise. All in all, though -- delicious. Thanks!
This was delicious Uncle Bill! I added some frozen cranberries to it, and of coarse used Granny Smith apple, I cut the apples down to 6 because of the cranberries, and added a couple tablespoons of flour to the apple mixture because of the frozen berries, although I think it probably could have used more flour, the middle was a bit watery. Also I added in brown sugar to the filling, as i think it really needed some sweetness, it turned out great although next time I make it I will make it just using apples. The crumb topping is just delicious, thank you for another wonderful recipe!...Kitten:)